Saturday, June 20, 2009

Trail Running

Hello!

Well, I have good news. Josh and I both have jobs! I got a job at The Lazy Dog, a happening Pearl St. restaurant/sports bar. I have made some friends at work and I'm ready for the rain to stop so that I can make the big bucks! Josh got a job as a cashier at Safeway (its a combo of Fresh Market and Publix). It obviously isn't what he saw himself doing, but it's work for now. He's still actively applying to other companies.

The weather has been very up and down lately. Afternoon t-storms/showers have put a damper on alot of things. Number one thing being that people don't want to eat out when its raining. The folks I work with have assured me that it is unusually slow and the rain can be the blame. I sure hope so.

We have found a new sport that we quite enjoy: trail running. It's so hard and at times I feel like I can't breath running 6,700 above sea level (at the peak), but the feeling after is pretty gratifying. So far we have ran at Chautauqua Park, Hogback Ridge/Foothils, and Mount Sanitas. I feel like I did after Kennesaw 2-a-days and I like it! Hogback Ridge offers a beautiful 180 degree views to the east and overlooks Boulder. Josh and I both agreed that it would be perfect for a sunrise run/hike. We didn't pass a single person and on the west end of the ridge, you can't see the city and it feels like your in open back country with an occasional mansion in the valley.

I mentioned Chautauqua Park in my last blog. It goes straight into the flatirons with limited views at times. It is very populated and well maintained. So far it is my least favorite because of all the other people.

Mount Sanitas has been the most callenging so far. It's well maintained but has lots of jagged rock. The views at the top are unobstructed and beautiful. At dawn and dusk, Mt. Sanitas is frequented by mountain lions and bears. Luckily we didn't see any of those. The way down is quite fun. It has sharp turns, small crevaces and at times we felt as if we were in a maze. After we got successfully got out of the maze, we were about a mile and a half north of where we started. This area opens to Mt. Sanitas Valley. It is a wide open, gravelled path and an easy run down. Mount Sanitas was the best trail run to date.

We are constantly exploring new adventures. There is so much to do and we often find ourselves swimming in a sea of indesicion. I haven't yet bought one of those "Best Hikes: Boulder" books, but maybe I should. :) I get most of my trail information from the internet and stories from locals and those that have declared themselves as locals.

Last weekend we rode up to Estes Park with our buddies Joe and Dawn. It is a very cool town and only an hour or so away. We walked around the town, got some icecream, and took the cable car up to the top. We put quarters in the binoculars and fed peanuts to the chipmunks, typical tourists. If you hold your hand out, the chipmunks will take the peanut straight from your hand, shell it, and cram it in their mouths. I swear I fed one 25 peanuts before he even started chewing.

I don't have any pictures for this post. I will try and take some this week and post.



Keep on keepin' on. I love ya'll.

Best,
Annie

No comments: