Sunday, May 10, 2009

First Trip to Loveland/First Ambulance Ride



Hello! Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. As most of you know, our first ski/snowboard day as a Colorado resident landed me in the hospital. We went to Loveland on Monday, April 20 - the same day that our good friends Lauren and Patrick welcomed a baby boy into the world. James Peyton Brunson. The drive up was beautiful! We went down about 5 runs and that's about all I remember, and I vaguely remember that.

On account of Josh: He came up behind me and I was on the ground crying. I told him I was fine and snowboarded to the bottom. When we got to the bottom, I was clearly out of it. I couldn't answer the simplest of questions (i.e.: where are we?), so Josh decided to notify Ski Patrol. They brought me to their hut and told me to remember the number 15 (I later thought that it was the color blue they were asking me to remember. haha). After asking me a series of questions that had no answers to (where do you live? Where do you work?), the medic asked me what I was to remember. All he got was a blank stare. That's when they decided that I needed to go to the hospital. Loveland is over an hour from the nearest hospital, so I had to ride in the ambulance, just in case I had neck trauma. I was in an ambulance for over an hour and have no recollection of it what-so-ever. Pretty crazy, huh? Josh followed the ambulance and called our families to let them know. At the hospital, Josh said I just looked really scared. I had a cat scan and some xrays of my neck. Everything came back ok. What a relief!

I started to come to and I asked Josh where I was. He replied "At the hospital in Denver." I said surprised "At the hospital?!?!?! In Denver?!??!" He explained to me what happened and it never clicked. I still don't remember the fall, the ambulance ride, or the cat scan. I thanked God alot on the ride home...

I was wearing a helmet. The doctor said he can only assume that things could have been a lot worse had I not been wearing one. I have worn my helmet on every bike ride since, even leisure rides. I sometimes wear it around the house, just to be cautious. (just kidding, sort of.)



Loveland Ski Area




Josh



Annie




The newest addition to the Brunson gang: Peyton (born 4/20/09), and John Patrick (2 years)




1 comment:

Katharine said...

ANNIE!!!! Oh my goodness!!! Im so glad your okay, honey. thats scary! But you look great!! you both look so happy and Colorodo looks amazing!! chill out on the injuries though, dear. ;)